Tasks and Task Analysis
A task is meaningful unit of work. Here are some examples:
- Prepare a report
- Implement a data structure
- Draw a picture for use in a presentation.
Note that the task may involve subtasks, thus a task is not necessarily
The goal of task analysis is to describe the task in sufficient detail
that it can be realized in the system. To do this:
- Interview and observe users in thw work environment. Choose
users to represnet the diversity of the population.
- Be concrete; talk about what the users are doing.
- Summarize you udertanding of users, tasks, and environment; let
the users critique it.
- Based upon your understanding, design and build prototypes.
Have the users test these, preferably in the work environment. Iterate!
Documenting Task Analysis
Some useful Forms for task analysis.
Return to GUI home page.
Last Changed: 1 May 1995