Assignment #1 For CSC 5855
Student: Yue Wu Date: May 29, 96.
Software Package: ICP Client Tracking System
Task: To know how the ICP Client Tracking System works.
My subject of observation was Carol who is
familar with windows applications, and has experience with interface design
for patients who have suffered brain injuries.
Total Time Spent observing: 24 minutes.
Narrative Description of the Subject's activities
List times spent on subactivites and the various focus changes.
Time in Minutes Action Problem / Comment
Carol selected "Update Client Visits" from the Main
Menu List using mouse double click. When the screen moved to Update
Client Visit Form, she clicked on the button "Find A Client".
On the Dialog Form "Find Client",
she typed her first name in the field of first name, and then click on
button "Find". Because the "Find
Client" Dialog Form didn't disappear right away, she clicked on
the button "Find" twice until the form disappeared. After her
name showed in the Client List on the Update Client
Visits Form, she assumed that either first name or last name can be
used to find clients. She also wondered if the system can show all
the clients that have the same first name. ( The system does.)
- On Update Client Visit Form, she clicked
on the button "Add A Client" . When the screen moved to Client
List Form, she put a first name in the field of "First Name",
and a last name in the field of "Last Name". She tried to put
a telephone number in the field of "Home Phone", but the cursor
stuck on "(", which is part of the input mask for the field.
She kept typing a number on "(", it didn't work. She also tried
to move cursor past "(" using the mouse, and the mouse was
not sensitive enough to move only one character. Later she used the right arrow
key to move the cursor past "(". The arrow key was used again,
when she put another phone number in the next field of "Work Phone".
In the field of "Zip", she put 19111-1234 in the blank field.
The field was not long enough and only showed 111-1234. She wondered
where the "19" was. After she filled out all the fields, she
clicked the button "Save" to save the record.
- After adding a new client, she went back to the Update
Client Visit Form. She used mouse to highlight a client name in the
Client List, then moved mouse to the field of "Last Visit Date"
and tried to edit the date. Since the system was not in the edit mode,
it didn't let her edit the date. She didn't notice the words below the
Client List box which were "Find a name nd double click to udpate visit
date.". After I told her, she thought the words are not clear enough.
She double clicked a name in the Client List Box and the cursor automatically
went to the field of "Last Visit Date". She updated the date
and clicked the button "Save" to save the record. She asked what
was the meaning of the button "All Clients" and why the Client
List Box didn't have a vertical scroll bar. (The "All Clients"
button is used to show all client names in Client List Box when the Client
List Box only show the result of find, and the scroll bar shows when the
list box can't show all the names.)
- She selected "Client List" from the Main Menu List. On the
Client List Form, she clicked on the button
"Add A Client", filled all the field without problems, and saved
the records. She tried the "Update Info." and "Next Client".
When she clicked on "Previous Client" button, a message box come
out that said "Can't go to the specific record.". She thought
it was an error message. (Because the system was showing the first record,
it can't go to the specific record.) She tried the "Delete Client",
and the message box said "You've just deleted 1 record(s). Choose
OK to save your changes or Cancel to undo your changes.". She thought
the message was not clear enough to be understood.
- Going back to Main Menu Form, she selected
report. She clicked on the button "Print Reprot" , the Report
Form disappeared, and the report was printed properly.
Modes of Interaction used by the subject
- Subject interacts with fields, list boxes and buttons.
- Subject often uses the mouse. When mouse didn't work, keyboard was
- When the system doesn't work the way subject expected, subject thought
that something wrong with the system.
- Whenever a message appears, subject thought it was a system error
Question the subject about their perceptions of the system
- Is there a vertical scroll bar on the Client List Box?
- Can users search using either first name or last name, and if the system
shows all the clients which have the same first names or last names.
- What does the button "All Client" do?
ICP Client Tracking Sysgem is designed for people who have suffered brain
injuries. The interface design of the system is based on the idea of that
patients can use it with 2-3 minutes training or without training. The
system design is focused on giving specific instructions to tell user how
to use the system. For example, using "Add A Client" in stead
of "Add" on the add button tells user more clearly what the button
- Package Features Used by the Subject:
- Fields, Buttons, and List Boxs.
- Unused Package features (why not?):
- Enter or Tab Key to move field by field. (Mouse can be used to move
to the specific field)
- Disable and Enable Buttons shows the Edit Mode. (Subject didn't notice
the change of the button)
- Actions facilitated by the package:
- All the buttons.
- Actions that appeared awkward:
- High lighted a name and double clicked the name to enter to edit mode.
Recommend Improvements, give reasons.
There are several improvements that could be made.
- Changing the instruction from "Find a name then double click to
update date" to "Find a name then double click on the high lighted
name to update.".
Since the user will be workers in the hair
salon, they are not familiar with using application interfaces. Specific
instructions can help them to figure out how the system works.
- Changing the message box for the delete warning from "You've just
deleted 1 record(s). Choose OK to save your changes or Cancel to undo your
changes." to "Delete this client?".
- Changing the instruction on the button of "All Clients" to
"Return to Beginning".
Reason: "Return to Beginning" is clearer than "All
- Cursor will automatically move from "(" to next character
in the date field.
Reason: It makes data entry easier.
- Enlarge the filed of "Zip".
Reason: It only shows part of the field before, users can't see the
Author: Yue Wu
Last Changed: June 5, 1996